Monday, August 3, 2009

Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair


If 'Pulp Fiction' and 'Fight Club' are referred to as the glorious wet dream of the 14 year old community then 'Kill Bill' is certainly the 15 year old equivalent. For the record, I have enjoyed all aforementioned movies, though to certain extents. 'Kill Bill' was released in two volumes but is essentially one movie so it should be judged in that way. It is an action movie that pays homage to; (lets just use wikipedia here) - The movie is an epic-length revenge drama, with homages to earlier film genres, such as Hong Kong martial arts movies, Japanese Chanbara films, exploitation films and Italian spaghetti westerns.

Now apparently the more of the films 'Kill Bill' pays homage to, the more you enjoy this movie. I am not a fan of this particular theory. For example, I had seen all the films in which the 2007 feature 'Be Kind Rewind' had made short rip offs of. However despite understanding where the entertainment was meant to be coming from, that did alter the fact that it was not enjoyable to watch.

I have viewed 'Kill Bill' a total of two times now. First when it was originally released and I was not such a big fan of movies and again after I had a much more extensive list of movies under my belt. What had changed? Well, I appreciated the editing, cinematography and music more but my overall feeling was "good movie". Never did the movie have the effect on me where I immediately wanted to rave about it to everyone in a one mile radius. Never was it intended to be the next 'Citizen Kane' with performances that caused Oscar buzz. What was actually scripted to occur was the viewer going on a roller coaster ride though the nearest fun land. This feature just does not stir me in that direction. All you really do is catch reference upon reference and bare witness to a notable amount of violence and if that is the best that 'Kill Bill' can offer on its menu, then I severely doubt, I'll be staying for dessert.

3 comments:

  1. I love Kill Bill =[

    Have you seen Lady Snowblood? It's fun to watch that and see how much Tarantino improved upon it for Kill Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I know, I had more stuff on here, but I deleted it and was starting a fresh.

    No I haven't. Had heard of it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. Nice to see some more Criticker guys here on blogger.

    ReplyDelete